Layout This is the layout and some color samples for a ‘commission’ (gift). My friend, the seamstress, made a whole ton of Dragon*Con costumes and moved across the country immediately afterwards, and I wanted to thank her. You may be able to see the color coding for the markers — I had the colors settled before starting the final drawing.
Faces The layout doesn’t have any faces. I did the faces on a separate sheet from reference photos to get the details down. I sketched them in my comic style, because the work was supposed to have that simple feel. Even still, the final product wasn’t quite as detailed.
Sketch Here is the sketch on a 14×17 inch sheet of Bristol paper. Take note of the grid. There is a grid with the same number of divisions on my layout sheet, which helps me keep the scale correct when moving to a larger sheet of paper. To lay the pencils, I used a simple 0.3mm Staedtler mechanical pencil with standard writing leads.
Ink To lay the ink, I used a Pentel Brush, which allowed for some variation in line width. Where variation wasn’t important but straight lines were (the table, for example) I used pigment pens of 0.5 and 1 mm width and a straightedge. After allowing the ink to dry, I erased all the sketch lines, including the grid.
Final The color was all done with set of Tria markers. The original layout was littered with Tria color codes, so I remembered which color I wanted to use for each region. Some final inkwork was applied, usually with pigment pen, to fix any small omissions. At my friend’s request, I signed at the bottom right. That was an unusual experience for me…Littering my work with noise.